Thursday 17 May 2012

Foto Schmoto.....

I used to beat myself up for not being a "reader".
Don't get me wrong, I can read an I do read! I'm just a very visual person.
I guess that's why I became a photographer.
Images, both cinematic and stills have always moved me far more than the long written word.
Quotes aside. I'm a sucker for short poignant quotes! 
I've always flicked through books, looking to be inspired or enlightened by a picture.
The words never really meant much to me. They just weren't important.
A still image has always taken me to where a well written book took other people.
As a photographer I've been asked so many times if I have any "Ideas".
I never really worked like that. I always liked to visit a place with a subject and make it work for me.
Sure you can move a bit of scenery around to improve the look of a shot, but just working with what is presented to me at the time has always seemed more honest, natural and a better way of doing things. For me the best portraits are the simplest.
Simple for me is best. Not only in photography but in life.
After shooting action, bands and events, I'm now drawn to simple portraits more than ever.
Having said all that I fucking dig some of the over styled photography around today, it's clever, it's just not what I've done I guess. I've always been surrounded by more dirt and grime than glitz an glamor.
I'm gonna be shooting a bit more this year.
Not for other people but for myself.
Gotta lose myself in something.......





1 comment: